Jan 18, 2005
|During the second
half of the 19th century, the south end of Butler Street was home to the Morrison Family.
Stephenl E. Morrison was an early pioneer - coming from Vermont in 1835. By 1840, Mr.
Morrison had started a tannery in the area of the Hotel Butler. During the next 50 years,
he became a successful business owner and a pillar of the community.
The Morrison family home (left photo) - built in 1850 - was located on the northeast corner of Butler and Culver Streets. The home was later converted to a small hotel known as Leland Lodge. It was destroyed by fire in 1978 and today the Viola Fox building occupies the lot.
The photo at the right is Butler Street after a good snow in 1912. The Morrison house is just out of the picture to the right.
Click on view all to return to the Remembering When ... library
Click here to return to the Pictorial History home page
Click here to return to the Saugatuck-Douglas Historical Society home page